Healthy weight 10-11 year old children initiatives
helping families improve their health
- A 25% increase in the number of Be Food Smart packs distributed and a doubling of competition entries from 2016 to 2017.
- Development of an aligned marketing strategy between the library service and public health campaign calendar, to ensure coordinated and consistent public health messages throughout communications channels.
- Access to the libraries’ social media channels increased the council’s online reach to over 115,000 members of the public.
- This activity has inspired Change4Life to create resources specifically for libraries, which launched in early 2019 with a nutrition campaign (see below).
West Sussex Sugar Smart Dental Toolkit
Child Obesity: a plan for action
- Deliver consistent messages regarding Healthy Weight
- Use motivational interviewing techniques
- Ensure earliest identification of those at risk of becoming overweight and obese, with early intervention and appropriate referral to healthy eating programmes
Sugar Tax Introduced
- 24p per litre of drink if it contains 8 grams of sugar per 100 millilitres.
- 18p per litre of drink if it contains between 5 – 8 grams of sugar per 100 millilitres
Alive N Kicking
The Weight Management Centre has continued to deliver Alive N Kicking weight management programme to children and young people throughout the year. To date 140 families have engaged with the programme, with half of them reducing or maintaining their weight. The majority of referrals into Alive N Kicking continue to come from the school programme STOP, and school nurses.
Testimonial from a mother of a young person who attended Alive N Kicking
"Since attending the Alive n Kicking programme I have found that as a parent I have noticed a huge difference in my daughters personality. Before the course she hated school and was bullied due to weight related issues. She seemed so unhappy I took her to the Doctors because I thought she may be depressed. Since regular exercise and losing some Weight there has been a massive difference in her behaviour at school and at home. It seems like a weight has been lifted, she has more enthusiasm towards exercise, eating and even going to school. She used to lay around and didn't want to leave the house now it's hard to keep her indoors! This has also had a knock affect into my life as a mum, I am much happier. My daughter is happy after what seems like a lifetime! Alongside side helping her I have also done extremely well and losing 6kgs in 8 weeks and I would highly recommend this programme to any kids suffering from being overweight, she has lost 2kg."
Be Food Smart
The Public Health England (PHE) BE Food Smart campaign launched nationally on 3rd January 2017, with the news stories that children are eating more than half of their daily sugar intake in their breakfast.
The campaign feedback from PHE showed that 115 new registrations from West Sussex were logged onto the Change4Life website during the campaign period. 24,051 emails were sent from Change4Life to West Sussex residents with an average 12.8% open rate. Further changes to primary school meals provided by Chartwells have resulted in more sugar being removed.
Be Food Smart Team visited Crawley!